The 2023 Overall Results are now available on Series Resources under the 2023 CDS Competition Season folder. The direct link can also be found at 2023 Final Overall Results.
At the conclusion of the awards ceremony, it was discovered that a few mistakes were made and have since been corrected. Luckily, none of the changes affected the winner of the competition however it did make it even tighter at the top with only a 2 point difference between 1st and 2nd place finishers in the Spark-Ignited Class.
Below is a list of the mistakes found and corrected:
- Subjective Noise: Scoring was on a scale of 0-100, not 0-50. The linear interpolation was created based on rank position (i.e., 1st got X points, 2nd got Y, 3rd got Z), not on subjective noise score. This was an adjustment made from the 2022 competition to better balance the event, however this was overlooked going into 2023 by competition organizers.
- Objective Handling: Linear interpolation slope and offset were entered as numbers, not as cell values. These did not automatically recalculate and update as all other events so the scale wasn’t properly calculated from 0-100.
- In-Service Emissions: Linear interpolation calculations weren’t smart enough to remove the teams that scored zero points by not competing. By removing those teams, it changed the minimum emissions score from 0 to 69.1, effectively making the linear interpolation slope steeper.
Teams who placed first in the following events which were sponsored also include a monetary value; SAE staff will be reaching out to team members for more information:
- Best Design (SI and CI) - $500
- Acceleration (SI and CI) - $500
- Handling (SI and CI) - $500
- Overall (SI and CI) - $1000